Friday, February 25, 2011

Sensitive....

Something being a "type 1 sibling" has taught me is how to be amazingly tuned in to people and how they act.  And of course any care giver to a type 1 could say this so I am not claiming to have a lock on this particular skill.

But the thing is, growing up, I obviously paid so much attention to how my sister "acted".  If she seemed just the slightest bit different when we were kids, it usually seemed the outcome was an insulin reaction.  After a while, you start to hone your skill at picking up on just the TINIEST change in behavior in order to take preventative action.

Obviously, as a child, I wasn't primarily responsible for taking care of my sister, but its inescapable to avoid participating in the "detection" and at times being the one who noticed the changes and initiated action.

I only bring this up, because I realize I am like that with ALL my relationships and its nice to understand where it comes from.  I am SO sensitive to how a friend or loved one acts and seem to notice just the slightest change in their behavior.  I am not doing this on purpose, of course, its just part of me.  I grew up learning that changes in behavior that didn't seem "normal" usually meant "danger".  They were a warning sign to get my sister help.  To get her sugar.  And of course, it SCARED me when my sister would have an insulin reaction as a kid (well, who am i kidding, it scares me now, but I don't live with her so I don't face it every day anymore).

But, I don't think its a behavior that you just apply to ONE person, and I think its been one of those really great "benefits" of growing up in a diabetic household.  I am Sensitive to people.  I notice when something is wrong...

And who doesn't want to be noticed???

No comments:

Post a Comment