Monday, February 28, 2011

Thirsty....

Just laughing to myself a bit today about how I'm sort of "programmed" to view being thirsty. 

I find myself going down this crazy thought process for such a normal human need.  Ok, here is what I mean...

So, first I notice that I am thirsty.  Then I think "am i unusually thirsty, does this MEAN something".  I just remember growing up being told that being thirsty was a "sign" that you might be diabetic.  And with my sister being type 1, it felt sometimes that it was just a matter of time before I would be diagnosed.  That's how I used to think, at least, because neither I nor anyone seemed to understand WHY my sister contracted this chronic illness. 

So it went.  I felt like I monitored my "thirstiness", my parents monitered my "thirstiness", and now as an adult, if I am thirsty, my first response is NOT the typical "oh, geeze, you just ran 10 miles, of course you would be thirsty".  My first response is "Oh CRAP, is this a sign I might be diabetic"..

Weird, huh?????

2 comments:

  1. That is interesting to hear. We diabetics do the same thing. Recently, I've noticed my cat being more thirsty than normal and those same thoughts came to mind. We took her to the vet, and the vet said it could be D or kidney infection, and turned out to be the latter. But the first thought in my head was that my cat was diabetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,

    Aww, sad that your cat had a kidney infection. But good to hear that I am not the only one whose first inclination to being "more" thirsty is the big "D"!!

    ReplyDelete