Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Is it odd that this NEVER occurred to me???????

Don't ask me why TODAY, randomly, I considered my chances of developing Diabetes since my sister is T1.  But, today I did.....this is what I found:


Just who is at risk for developing type 1 diabetes? Here's a sampling of what Dr. Warram, a Lecturer in Epidemiology at Harvard School of Public Health, said is known:
  • If an immediate relative (parent, brother, sister, son or daughter) has type 1 diabetes, one's risk of developing type 1 diabetes is 10 to 20 times the risk of the general population; your risk can go from 1 in 100 to roughly 1 in 10 or possibly higher, depending on which family member has the diabetes and when they developed it.
  • If one child in a family has type 1 diabetes, their siblings have about a 1 in 10 risk of developing it by age 50.
Hmmm....I am 45.  But those are pretty interesting stats .....


So, does that mean I have 5 more years left of worry to beat this "stat"???  Shesh, I am glad I didn't know this earlier and spend ALL my time worrying....lol....


No comments:

Post a Comment