Thursday, June 16, 2011

It Depends on your Environment...

So, I have been wondering if my experiences are similar to other siblings of a T1, or if my situation was unique.  What do I mean by that?  Well, MY memories of my childhood definitely are shaped by my sister being T1.  It seemed to always be there, SO stressful.  Getting to a restaurant for a 5:00 dinner reservation only to find we had to "wait" made my mom go into overdrive because my sister had already give her shot, which then made me panic.  I feel like I was always worrying and stressing in reaction to the situation.  EVERYTHING seemed like it was such a big deal.  Maybe that's just me?  But that's how I remember it.

The reason I ask this is due to some reflection recently on my husband's family.  He grew up the youngest of 5 children.  Four boys, one girl.  One of his brother's was born with lack of oxygen to the brain and is severely mentally challenged and now as an adult lives in a group home.  You would think that my husband would have really stressful memories about having such a sibling, and that it would have caused stress on his family.  But, it doesn't seem to.  His family seems to just "roll with it" and not sweat the small stuff.

So, was my experience more taxing because the personalities in my family were more prone to "panic" and escalation?  Potentially.  I don't feel like anyone ever sat me down and dealt with MY fears about it all.  I am not sure I was allowed to have any fears???  It wouldn't have been politically correct??

Probably sounds like obvious observations.  But, when you are so deep IN it, a PART of it....its harder to step back and "reflect".....

I am glad I am starting to...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this! My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed 7 months ago and her brothers were 6 months old and 5 yrs old when diagnosed. I am so aware of how this is affecting them! How would you suggest I help them? What would you have liked to have done to help ease your worries growing up, and now? This is like a glimpse into the future and I so want to do it right! You can find my blog at http://alittlecraftynest.typepad.com and I blog about diabetes about once a month under "the pink elephant". Thanks for this blog:)
    xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ! for sharing this article and i like the content you shared and the quality of this article is so good. This is the same website as brother and sister days

    ReplyDelete