Tuesday, March 8, 2011

JDRF...

I Listened to the JDRF live broadcast today about the artificial pancreas and the FDA.  Honestly, its seems amazingly frustrating to listen to all the ideas that are out there, but are all just "in the pipe".  I wish really cool ideas could get to market faster. 

It was interesting to read the live comments stream by as people were listening to the presentation.  "Interesting" because it seemed to sum up what I (as a NON type 1, but an interested, affected, compassionate party) have thought.  Here were two of the comments that reflected a lot of listeners:  "We Type 1's need to get more organized and start thinking about employing more radical techniques", and "We need to get more organized and more Coordinated". 

You know, I watch commercials for the 3 day walk for breast cancer.  I have seen the masses rally to find cures for HIV and other diseases.  I have been asked to participate in SUCH a variety of charity fundraising causes in my life, yet NEVER one for JDRF unless I initiated it.  It just doesn't seem as common.

Should I be doing something?? 

It is interesting how this has made charities "annoy" me.  When I see someone raising money for any other cause other than Type 1, I get all tense inside.  It makes me feel angry and guilty at the same time.  I am angry that its money going to another cause and not type 1 (isn't that terrible??) and feel guilty because I think I should be doing more.

And I am only a bystander.....so, I hope I haven't offended....

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am a "new to blogging grandmother of a Type 1 grandson". By now I'm sure you have heard about the big push to get the Artificial Pancreas approved for out-patient testing.

    If you have not yet sent your letter to your congressman asking for their help in urging the FDA to issue guidelines for the outpatient testing as quickly as possible. It will literally take no more than 2 minutes and could make the difference in getting your congressman's signature!!

    One person truly can make a difference and you can be that one. If you have not already sent your letter, PLEASE follow this link and send it today!

    http://bit.ly/hmS2O5

    If you have questions, just let me know..I promise to try and get you your answers!

    Thanks you so much for helping to make a difference in the lives of our loved ones,

    ReplyDelete